4.23.2009

Arrested Development does not Equal Sit Down, Shut Up

A few years ago FOX canceled my favorite show "Arrested Development" (AD). Last Sunday FOX premiered "Sit Down, Shut Up" (SDSU), a new animated comedy by Mitch Hurwitz who also created AD.

Three of the AD cast do voice work for three characters - Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Henry Winkler. And after watching the new animated show, it did nothing but bring back the anger and frustration over the AD cancellation since the new show is pretty lame. I wanted to like it, but I didn't. I know pilot episodes are rough and often unlikeable so I will give it a second chance, but if it sucks just as much I don't believe I'll be allocating any of my time to the show.

In an effort to get people to watch the show, FOX has now created a long online promo basically saying they messed up, canceled a great show, but now as an apology they are offering SDSU so us AD fans should therefore watch and we'll all be happy again.

Sorry FOX, doesn't quite work that way. I'll see the AD movie when it comes out as many times as I can, will buy the DVD and even a Franklin puppet if they come out with one, but I'm not going to watch a 30-minute show that seems disjointed, with confusing characters and no real plot.

No comments: