5.12.2007

Return from my MIA status

Hello blog world. Long time, no see/write. It's amazing what a difference a month can make.

First of all, I must acknowledge that two years ago yesterday I had artificial disc replacement surgery. Now, this is a not a topic I plan to talk about too much on this blog (I have another one dedicated for that), but since it significantly effects my life on a daily basis I thought it would be appropriate to mention it today. This was the surgery that was going to give me a more normal life, and instead it just made things worse. Worse enough where I had a second surgery to repair fractures caused by the artificial disc in February, and I'm still struggling with constant and severe nerve pain. It easily makes me feel more like 80 than 30. It's hard to realize that two years ago you were sitting in a hospital bed, crippled with pain yet so optimistic about the future...all for nothing.

Speaking of 30, I can technically only say that for a few more days. My birthday is sometime this upcoming week...not sure what day. Remember when you were a kid and you would count down to your birthday? Well, this year I'm hoping the day just passes with little acknowledgment. Yes, part of that is a small part of depression I feel from the whole "the pain is not better" scenario, I'm sure. What goals should I set for my 31st year? Suggestions are welcome.

Work has changed quite a bit over the last month. After I met with my boss and told her I had one foot out the door, almost overnight the owners panicked and made sure they changed things for me. That doesn't mean I don't have frustrating days/situations, but it has improved. I'm being treated with more respect, and finally got a second title and a little more pay, all without me even asking. In return I'm back to working hard and putting in extra hours, which makes for long days. I've also stopped my job search for now, though it's mostly due to my poor health. I do not want to start a new job dealing with the issues I'm dealing with.

Another work bonus has been additional travel. The bad - not client related, but instead related to potential litigation which I can't discuss here. The good - I get to travel on my own; I spent a day in D.C. a couple of weeks ago; and the week of the 20th, for the first time, I will be going to NYC for 4-1/2 days. Midtown. Considering I have never been to NYC AND it's been my number one "wish trip" since we moved to Ohio, I am thrilled. Yes, it sucks I won't have time to do much sightseeing and B. can't join me. But to go to New York all expenses paid, even under not-so-great circumstances, is pretty cool. I will definitely be bringing the camera.

Have a good Mother's Day weekend, everyone.

No comments: