7.27.2007

The Ultimate Simpson's Episode (the last of 5)

It's hard to choose a favorite episode, but here is my best attempt.

The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson - Episode 179, Season 9

The first time I saw this episode I was in love. And I realized how much I missed it since after 9/11 I have only seen it aired once. Lucky for me, B. gave me the Season 9 DVD set for my birthday a few months ago so I can now enjoy it when I please.

The premise is just what the title states - it's Homer against New York City. You have to love the set-up: Barney is chosen the designated driver at Moe's, on a night where Barney was chosen as the Duff winner of a big party thrown by Duff Man and his side-kick women. Barney, going crazy after having to remain sober, takes Homer's car and drives off, not to be seen for months. Finally Barney appears with a huge hangover and has no idea where Homer's car is. Lucky for Homer, the City of New York sends him a letter telling him his car is parked in Manhattan - which you later find is actually between World Trade Center buildings One and Two.

As it turns out, Homer had been in the NYC once before and had a horrible experience. But, they have to retrieve their car so the family hops aboard a bus to NYC. While Homer is put in charge of retrieving the car the rest of the family takes in the sights and sounds of NYC, which lends itself to an hilarious back-and-forth storyline showing how the day progressed for both sides. No surprise that Marge and the kids had a wonderful, culture-filled day while Homer struggles to retrieve his car through a series of failed attempts.

Unlike some of the other Simpson episodes where they travel outside of Springfield, they actually do not make fun of the city too much; they focus more on the people and some of the more popular stereotypes. And the biggest sign of a great Simpson's always means a lot of memorable quotes.

"Yeah, all right. Listen up, guys. The Springfield Police have told me that ninety one percent of all traffic accidents are causes by you six guys" -- Moe, talking to his barflies

"Now remember, criminals prey on small town folk like us. So if anybody asks, we're sophisticated millionaires from the Ozarks." --Homer talking to his family once they arrive in NYC

"Hey, immigrants! Beat it! Country's full!" -- Bart, shouting from the Statue of Liberty

"Send it to Jesus, uh, care of the Pentagon." -- A bum gives his address to Lisa, asking her to write him

Homer: Now what do you have to wash that awful taste out of my mouth?
Vendor: Mountain Dew or crab juice.
Homer: Blecch! Ew! Sheesh! I'll take a crab juice...

Lisa: [gasps] Mom, are those rabbits dead?
Marge: No, no, Lisa they're just sleeping, upside down... and inside out...

Bart: When I grow up, I want to be in the Betty Ford Center.
Marge: You better start saving now. It's very expensive.
Lisa: [shushes Marge] They're strapping down Liza Minelli.


No comments: